Thursday 16 July 2015

Day 16: The Journey Toward Healing. Loneliness

Today is the last day of my vacation. I still have a few weeks left off work, but today is the last day of the vacation I did just for me, that included a nanny so that I can actually let go and rest.

I know my vacation is an incredible success because a couple of times the nanny came to me with a routine issue with my autistic son, and my first thought was, "Okay. What am I supposed to do about it?" And then I remembered that I still have to make him dinner. Or I still have to change his poopy diaper (by choice: I don't feel like anyone else should have to change my 4 year old's soiled diapers.) And a couple of times when the nanny was off I actually forgot I had to watch my son (but remembered before anything disastrous happened). That shows me I did, indeed, turn off.



This afternoon I walked along the beach by our cottage, alone, for a little reflection, and a little good-bye, and I could feel that significant healing had already occurred even in the shortness of this week.

The healing that I felt was that a little of the overwhelming loneliness that I am relentlessly consumed by, had faded quite a bit. Most single parents feel some elements of loneliness, I am sure. I would also venture to say that married parents feel loneliness too. But when my non-verbal, special needs child has been sick most of the time since February, and I was sick for half of that, and every day has been a vicious struggle to survive, and I barely have a moment to text those closest to me, never mind have conversations and feel heard, I start to feel like I am fading. I start to feel like no one sees me. I start to feel like I am not even me anymore. And I don't allow myself to be loved because I am too busy fighting off fear.

A friend of mine, who is also a single parent, but with a typically developed son, the same age as mine, came along on this vacation. We've done a few things together with our sons, but not everything. Her presence has been a big factor in healing some of my loneliness.

 My nanny is also a genius at engaging my son and his friend, and it feels wonderful to me to have another adult to share special moments with as my son develops. That's also a big factor in the development of my loneliness: having no one to share my son's victories and challenges with.

But the real key in healing my loneliness this week has simply been re-connecting with me. Having several hours every day to do what I like to do. This week it was reading, writing, painting, walking, eating, and shopping. It's also been about having time to take in God's love/presence all around me, and in this place, its obvious as Technicolor.



In this place I am aware that I am deeply loved by God around me, and God in me.

At the beginning of this week I read my daily meditation by Richard Rohr. He quoted an ancient saying of perennial wisdom which says "You are that which you seek." I knew then that I was seeking love, and I knew all I had to do this week was absorb it.

So that was 5 days out of 365. The trick will be re-connecting to this place of Love-in-me a little more regularly throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment