Thursday 2 July 2015

Day 2: The Journey Toward Healing

Today is the second day of my journey into rest and relaxation. I have been talking about doing it since last Christmas, but there literally hasn't been a time since Christmas that I was able to let go, even for a day. I am talking white-knuckling it every day AND night (and I literally wake from sleep white knuckles hanging on to each other for dear life).

I spoke in another post about how moms of kids with autism (not specifically single moms, just moms) have stress levels similar to soldiers in active combat. I get that because there is little ability to predict when the next episode/attack is going to be, who will get injured and how, how long it will last, or how bad it will be. Typically there's a few a day. Sometimes there isn't one for a while, and then you wait to be ambushed. And you will be. So whatever you do, don't relax.

Much of the time, significant clean up is required after an episode. And the episodes also tend to cluster, so while you are drooped in defeat, cleaning up from one devastation, the enemy (autism) launches another attack on another front.  Perfect illustration: My non verbal ASD 4 year old pulled almost every one of his 100+ books off the shelf the other morning. As though to add a garnish on top of the mess, he also emptied his Mega Blocks and race tracks top of the books. The sitter found me working up a sweat trying to tidy things for her arrival, when we suddenly heard a CRASH out on the deck where my son had intentionally smashed a glass bottle. His delight was quite apparent and he didn't understand why I ran at him yelling, STAY THERE STAY THERE. He wanted to jump amidst his new smithereened creation, but I was able to hold him in place while the sitter got shoes for all of us. Then I got to go to my job (phew!). The following evening was relatively pleasant, watching (every second or he will take off) my still-diapered son playing in the sprinkler. I took off his wet clothes and shoes and left him in his wet diaper while I went to answer the doorbell to discuss an urgent maintenance matter with my neighbor. After a 5 minute conversation, I ran upstairs because I couldn't hear my son. What I found was  a kitchen smeared with diaper gel... he had broken through the protective barrier in his diaper, heavy with sprinkler water, and smeared the gel everywhere through the kitchen. Then I took him to the bathroom to wash him off in the shower and I got screamed at, head-butted, and bitten. I could go on, but you are getting a snapshot of what it looks like.

Add on top of this the fact that my 4 year old has been sick almost non stop for the last 5 months. This means 5 months of sleeping with me, or waking in pain, or crying etc; 9 trips to Children's ER, 6 of them in the middle of the night. Not only will my body not allow me to fall into a deep sleep, but it is ready to slam me with adrenalin to help me deal with whatever the mid-night screaming is about.

And thus my problem now arises: I HAVE TO RELAX if I want to survive to live another few years. But my body is coursing with so much adrenalin, when I sit still mid day, my whole body is buzzing like a bee. Like this bee in my garden as I started to write this today:


Bad picture, but I had to snap quick to capture the moment. The bee actually irritated me because I am working so hard to stop the buzzing (adrenalin) in my body, and the bee's buzzing was amplifying my buzzing.

So yes, Day 2 of my relaxation journey, and it will be a long journey. And apparently uncomfortable. Its tough coming off of 4 or 5 years of solid adrenalin.  Prescribed medication takes the edge off. But what really helps is meditation. Twice today I turned off the tv and meditated for about 5 minutes each before my son needed something from me. And I felt better. But its surprisingly hard to let go. And my adrenalin has served me so very well for so long. Its gotten me though dozens of experiences where many have said, "I don't know how you do it." Neither do I because adrenaline keeps doing it for me.

 I don't have anything wise to end this post off with except to invite you along with me on my journey back to calm. To center. To stability. And the very fact that I've created another post here tells me that my first step toward healing has already begun.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see you writing again, Karen. And it's good to be let in on what's happening in your life. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete