Thursday 30 July 2015

Day 30: Sleep (The journey toward healing)

Several weeks ago I was chatting with a friend of mine who is also a mental health therapist. This person told me about when they had to take a medical leave because they had so many clients that were suicidal, that they couldn't keep their own head above water. The advice this person gave me is that, "when you do get a chance to rest, you need to go really hard at it. All that stuff that you teach your clients... you need to do all of that and do it intensely."

So this week was the third week of my vacation, and the first week where I haven't been away somewhere, and still had childcare for my non-verbal ASD child. I haven't been able to turn off completely because I still have to be a mom to my special needs child. I still have to take him to his autism intervention appointments 3 times a week. But I have been attacking nutrition, physical restoration, and rest with everything I have. (kind of an oxymoron: attacking rest).

The rest has, by far, been the most challenging. My adrenalin surges are my biggest problem as my adrenalin has been keeping me going for so very long (like being in newborn mommy mode for over 5 years... with a non-cooperative newborn). Yesterday was the perfect example of that. My surging adrenalin (same as a panic attack) kept me up until 11pm. Why was it surging? Because almost every time I have been ready to go to sleep in the last 5 years, I wasn't able to because there was still something critical to be done, or an emergency to tend to, so adrenalin helped me keep going. Now it thinks it needs to kick in every time I get tired because that's what its been doing for me for so long. (And since I am tired most of the time, the adrenalin surges most of the time).

...so I couldn't sleep until after 11pm due to adrenalin. I finally fell asleep sometime before midnight. Then my ASD son had a typical bout of night waking from 1am - 4am, and I had to be up with him to prevent him from kicking the walls or floors and disturbing our neighbours. It also turned out he needed some intense sensory input, so I also had to bear-hug him, squeeze him, kiss him, and give him leg compressions, which are sort of like massage. I'm still super grateful I have an ASD kid that loves being hugged and kissed. And its my favorite thing to do as his mom. But when I've only had an hour of sleep, and I've been squeezing/kissing for an hour, it wears on a person.

Somewhere around 4am I finally got to sleep. Then up at 7am to get my son to his autism intervention appointment for 9.

We were back home around lunch, the babysitter came over, and I headed straight for bed, and fell into a very deep sleep for two hours. When I woke I felt like I was coming out of a coma. Most days adrenalin wakes me. Not today. And wow, was it ever hard to come back to consciousness and functionality. It took me a long time to figure out what day and time it was. I was convinced I had slept for a couple of days.

When I was at family camp last week I got in a 1 hour nap one day there, as well. Both that day and today I feel like I can grasp a small handful of the person I really am again, beyond mommy-robot mode. And that is a giant leap forward in my journey toward healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment